Delta Dental Conducts Coffee & Sugar Intake Analysis
Just How Much Do We Love Our Pumpkin Spice Lattes?
New Delta Dental Analysis Breaks Down Fall Drink Consumption & How to Counter the Sugar
Minneapolis, Minn. (November 17, 2015) – Ask most Americans what they love about fall and conversations quickly turn to seasonal beverages. But just how much do we love our pumpkin spice lattes? Today, Delta Dental Plans Association is releasing a new survey of American adults that has the answers.
Big numbers. According to the survey, a whopping 72% of all American adults (more than 175 million people) consume seasonal beverages such as pumpkin spice lattes and caramel apple ciders as the colder months descend upon the nation.
Those who do indulge, do so quite often. 39% of those surveyed, who say they do drink the seasonal beverages, drink them at least once a week.
Millennials are top consumers. Nearly nine in ten (86%) 18-34 year-olds consume beverages like pumpkin spice lattes during the fall and winter compared to fewer (67%) of those 35+ who do the same.
- Over half (55%) of Millennials who drink seasonal beverages do so at least once a week compared to fewer (31%) of their older counterparts.
Parents are much more likely than Americans without children (53% v. 33%) to consume such a drink at least once a week.
More women than men (77% vs. 68%) enjoy seasonal beverages during the fall and winter months.
“We Americans love our cold-weather seasonal beverages,” said Dr. Bill Kohn, Delta Dental Plans Association’s vice president of dental science and policy. “Keep in mind much of that sweet taste does come from sugar and we want to remind people that a few quick steps can help protect their teeth and their oral health.”
Quick tips to combat seasonal beverage sugar:
- If you frequently enjoy fall beverages, consider decreasing the number of “pumps” of flavoring added to your drinks to cut back on some of the sugar (a little over one teaspoon per pump).
- Try to limit the amount of other sugary foods you consume throughout the day if you are going to treat yourself to a fall beverage.
- Enjoy your fall beverage with a meal, not as a standalone treat. That way, other foods will help keep the sugar from clinging inside your mouth.
- Brush your teeth for two minutes with fluoride toothpaste soon after finishing the beverage, if possible.
- If you can’t brush your teeth, chew a sugar-free gum to help neutralize the acids that attack your teeth.
- Follow sugary beverages with a glass of water to help wash sugar and acid from your teeth.
About the survey: The survey was conducted by Kelton Global between October 26th and 29th, 2015 among 1,013 nationally representative Americans 18+. The margin of error is +/-3.1 percent.
About Delta Dental of Minnesota:
Delta Dental of Minnesota is an independent, tax-exempt, nonprofit health services company that serves the oral health needs of Minnesota and North Dakota residents. Since 1969, Delta Dental of Minnesota has accomplished this mission by providing the best access across the state to oral health care through affordable dental plans. Delta Dental is an authorized licensee of the Delta Dental Plans Association of Oak Brook, Illinois. To learn more, go to www.deltadentalmn.org.