Delta Dental of Minnesota is one of the largest providers of dental benefits in the Upper Midwest, serving 7,500 Minnesota-based purchasing groups and 3.8 million members nationwide. Founded in 1969, the company is an independent, nonprofit health service plan corporation. As a nonprofit, our mission is to help ensure access to affordable dental care. Delta Dental is a licensee of Delta Dental Plans Association (DDPA), the largest dental benefit system in the United States. For more information, download our annual report. Our portfolio of affordable and flexible dental benefit plans meets the needs of:
Groups - Serving employer groups of all sizes, Delta Dental provides group dental benefits as:
Individual and Family Plans - Our individual and family dental benefit plans serve those who are:
- Fully insured or administrative services only basis
- Indemnity or PPO
- Employer-paid or voluntary (employee-paid)
- Not covered under a group dental plan
Learn more about plans for those living in Minnesota or plans for those living in North Dakota.
Delta Dental members have easy access to network dentists.
Delta Dental of Minnesota's clients include:
- Delta Dental PPO is our national PPO network with more than 83,900 participating dentists, with approximately 1,788 dentists in Minnesota and the surrounding area.
- Delta Dental Premier is the largest dental network in the country with more than 142,000 participating dentists, with Delta Dental Premier has more than 3,060 participating dentists in Minnesota and the surrounding area.
Delta Dental is an excellent match for multinational corporations offering dental benefits to stateside and overseas employees. The Expatriate Dental Program is a global dental benefit program that lets multinational companies offer employees living or working overseas the same dental plan benefits as their stateside colleagues.
- Small businesses
- Mid-size companies
- Large Fortune 500 companies
- More than 278,000 Minnesotans who receive public assistance
Our competitive edge stems from our extraordinary customer service, numerous operating efficiencies and data analysis systems. Our strengths resulted in a premium and administrative revenue of $1.12 billion in 2012. For the 14th consecutive year, Delta Dental of Minnesota has an A (Excellent) rating from A.M. Best. Providing top quality customer service to our members, group customers and dentists is our priority.
We believe investments in our dental analytic capabilities pays off.
- Every day, we field about 5,677 calls, chiefly about benefits and participating dentists. Customer Service representatives undergo rigorous training and calls are monitored, with each representative graded for quality assurance.
- In 2012, we processed about 6.46 million claims. More than 99 percent of claims are processed within 10 business days, with a 99.99 percent financial accuracy rate.
- Our annual survey revealed that 97 percent of claimants are satisfied with the quality of service we provided.
- We had more than a 99 percent group retention rate for the individually-rated market in 2012.
With more than 40 years of experience in the dental benefits industry, Delta Dental of Minnesota has developed an advanced processing system for the unique needs of dental benefits administration. The company's mainframe and client-server computing platform uses proprietary database management software to process more than 26,065 new claims per day, checking each one against applicable contracts, eligibility files and fee schedules.
- Staffed with actuaries, statisticians and experts in oral epidemiology, the dental analytics team makes Delta Dental a national innovator in delivering economic value in dental benefits administration.
- The analytics team completely modernized traditional dental utilization review, from a pre-treatment review program to one that involves sophisticated statistical monitoring of individual dentist practice patterns. This process has streamlined the administrative process, saving dental clinics significant time and expense. This also ensures patients' needs are met in a faster manner, with considerably shorter wait-times and improved efficiency.